[User-committee] app dev on-boarding experience report (was Re: Reminder 4:00PST OpenStack APP ECOSYSTEM WORKING GROUP Etherpad for January 11, 2016 Meeting)

Bruno Morel bmorel at internap.com
Tue Jan 12 19:26:52 UTC 2016

Hi group,

Sorry I couldn’t make it yesterday…Will do better next week, promise (but then I always was alone with Intel in the last ones !!! :P).

I agree with Stefano (and also with the shout-out from Anne and her group) that we would need a "Defcore-compatible" solution to our conundrum (don’t know how to phrase that differently).

Am I wrong in thinking that it all comes down to the libraries compatibilities / coverage ?

Lib cloud doesn’t support Neutron, pkgcloud does, etc…

As I am myself working on an Objective-C one (yeah I know it’s not very useful, but it allows me to dig down into the APIs and their inconsistencies and it’s a fun project :P),I share Stefano’s pain [1] through and through (and I’ve just finished Keystone V2 and V3 support and started Nova..:()

Maybe we should regroup with Defcore AND the Api workgroup and try to share our discoveries and next action items. I fear all those groups are trying to target the same ultimate aim (consistency for the application developer), but go in slightly different direction…?

What do you all think ?

[1] http://maffulli.net/2015/07/17/the-hard-life-of-openstack-application-developers/

Bruno