[User-committee] app dev on-boarding experience report

Bart Demeulenaere bart.demeulenaere at venean.com
Mon Feb 8 23:01:33 UTC 2016

Hi Openstack App-devs,

I would like to give my 2 cents on this topic. First of all: congratulations
to the authors of the report on a job very well done. I also intentionally
do not reply to the most recent message in this thread - as it soon turned
into debugging libcloud, kind of.

If your target audience is enterprise developers - AWS and Azure are
currently hard to beat: both have good/excellent documentation, AWS has a
nice Java Eclipse plugin (deployment to AWS is just one button away), Azure
has very nice integration with the (also very good) MS development tools.
Both also have the advantage of being just one: there is just one AWS, these
is just one Azure. There are many Openstacks.
If your target audience is students - AWS and Azure are enticing them as
well: MS used to have huge discounts for students and schools to the point
of being almost free, Java is thought all over the place and the Eclipse
integration and 1 year free tier on AWS provide for a very nice grace period
in having students getting used to working with AWS. Again, both have the
advantage of being one - there are many Openstacks.

Anyone wanting to learn Openstack has to decide which Openstack to use and
which SDK to use - libcloud, Python SDK, direct Openstack API, Openstack CLI
clients.
That by itself is a big effort - for enterprise developers (time pressure),
for students (financial limitations - 50USD per month is still a lot to many
students), for small shop developers (such as myself). Many free or
affordable cloud-providers have serious limitations on what you can do in
their free tier (understandable) - sure you can launch a VM, but that is
hardly a cloud. What if I want to experiment with 15 VMs, it very soon
becomes a costly experiment.

As I said on the App-dev mailing list about 2 months ago, I am busy writing
my own first cloud-app on Openstack - so far my only result is to have a
stable running local Openstack deployment (on 11 VirtualBox VMs on a heavy
duty desktop machine) using a free download from a commercial Openstack
service provider. Experiments using osbash, devstack or a container-based
free download from another commercial provider failed. I have a yaml heat
template to launch a VM with a public IP address from Horizon and the CLI
clients can access my local Openstack from another machine. Starting to use
Openstack is hard. Mu first stab at my app will likely be a heat template
and/or shell script for a number of the CLI clients.

Kind regards,
Bart