[User-committee] Fwd: Enhancing the community events page

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Aug 3 22:13:14 UTC 2016

On 08/03/2016 10:13 AM, Jimmy Mcarthur wrote:
> That's a larger discussion, but if there is any way I can help on this,
> let me know. As mentioned, Events was not meant to replace
> groups.openstack.org. Merely a place for newcomers to find event info on
> the openstack.org site. As we've grown to do hackathons, expanded
> OpenStack Days, PTGS, etc..., we're finding that more and more real
> estate is needed, along with an improved user experience.

This is a great conversation to have.

Another reason why groups.o.o was built: presentations and training
material, video recordings, templates, samples are all scattered across
multiple channels. Groups was supposed to offer a unique place where
such material could be found. Some of these materials are now on
openstack.org/marketing but the stuff produced by the user groups are
still scattered around the web.

> If there is a desire to shut down groups.openstack.org, we should talk
> about how, and if, we can help fill that gap.

I'm not advocating closing it necessarily but given how little resources
have been put in it, I'd keep an open mind about its future.