[User-committee] [app] Notes from Ops meetup Application Ecosystem session

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Mon Mar 16 03:57:43 UTC 2015

Hi all,

The Application Ecosystem Working Group had a 90 minute session at the
recent ops meetup.

With about 30 people, we managed to go through a wide range of topics
and actually get some work done. The raw etherpad can be found at:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PHL-ops-app-eco-wg

We covered:
1. The urgent need to answer the question "Where do App People go to
hang out/communicate/meet each other in our community?"
2. A desire for a new tutorial around Migrating an app from Amazon to
OpenStack
3. Discussion of what an Application Catalogue for OpenStack means - see
followup at
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/user-committee/2015-March/000361.html
4. Concluded that Swift /info - style API to discover capabilities of
each OpenStack service is badly needed
5. Discussion of the "First App" tutorial, it's sprint, and the
Sample/Reference App idea
6. Potential for an application deployment tutorial (eg deploy Sugar
CRM), and a question about where the scope line lies for deployment

Finally, there was a desire to meet more regularly, so a meeting within
a month has been proposed - stay tuned for that, and suggest any agenda
items you'd like to cover.

Regards,

Tom