[User-committee] OpenStack End User Working Group

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Sep 12 20:13:34 UTC 2014

On 09/10/2014 12:31 PM, Everett Toews wrote:
> developer.openstack.org was decided on through the community process,
> a summit session, and a blueprint [1]. If you want to enable the
> creation of an application ecosystem, you need to target the content
> to a developer audience. I don’t think there's a need to rehash those
> discussions or revisit a decision that was recently made in the open.

Closing the loop on the list: I and Everett had a chat yesterday about
this and clarified the topic. There was a misunderstanding about which
content I was suggesting to move where, but now we are on the same page.

So, leaving the misunderstanding aside, Everett convinced me that *at
this stage* it is better to keep the content on
http://developer.openstack.org laser focused for only one kind of
audience (apps developers), at least until that identity is formed
fully. The main argument used by Everett is that we want apps developers
to be coding to the API and not the implementation of OpenStack. Should
we put the implementation details of OpenStack too visibly we may
encourage developing apps that are not easily portable. This ties into
the DefCore debate, API and designate sections, which as you know is
still in its infancy.

This leaves the pages http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ without a
clear ownership, but that's another topic, one that I'll discuss with
Anne and the TC separately.

Cheers,
stef