[User-committee] User Survey

Scheessele, Evan (Corvallis) evan.scheessele at hp.com
Wed Jul 16 00:39:15 UTC 2014

Hi Tim,

Those dates look fine to me. In terms of questions asked in an updated 'OpenStack User Survey' I would lobby for addition or clarification of stories for those 'API users' building research, academic, and/or enterprise applications on top of OpenStack deployments.

Current great questions in this vein:
1) What best describes your involvement with OpenStack?
   *  "Consumer of an OpenStack cloud - has API or dashboard credentials for one or more OpenStack resource pools, including an Application Developer" - involvement with OpenStack

2) "What tools are you using or plan on using to deploy/configure your applications?"

Perhaps a new question for such non-operator "application users/developers" addressing their scope and complexity? Something like one of these:

*         How many applications are you involved in supporting on top of an OpenStack deployment?

*         'Stacks' are clusters of integrated collections of VMs deployed together. How many separately-maintained application-stacks (R&D stack, load-test stack, staging-stack, prod-stack) are you involved in supporting on top of an OpenStack deployment?

*         How many concurrent VMs are typically running in support of end-user, research or enterprise applications in your environment's OpenStack deployment?

We could really use such data (mapped against the Industry field of the survey) to further flesh out the "enterprises are/aren't ready for OpenStack" marketing perception being pondered in the 'Win the Enterprise' working group.
Evan Scheessele
HP Publishing Solutions