[User-committee] [Openstack] Formulate application developer oriented questions for the user survey

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jan 21 01:25:16 UTC 2014

Hi Rob, Mark and All,

I hear you. This will be good information to have. But, practically speaking, it's going to be difficult to collect.

Just because it's a challenge doesn't mean we shouldn't try. We can attack this thing on two fronts.

A. Add the question(s) of what API calls people are using to the survey. Just need to figure out how to resolve #1 and #2 below.

B. Get aggregate API call data from companies willing to share it. Is there any such effort already underway to collect this kind of data by the Foundation?

There are a number of issues that stand out to me but before getting into them some quick definitions to be clear what I'm talking about.

OpenStack developer = developer working on OpenStack itself
OpenStack operator = operator deploying/maintaining an OpenStack cloud
application developer = developer working on application being deployed on an OpenStack cloud
application operator = operator deploying/maintaining an application on an OpenStack cloud
users = any of OpenStack operator, application developer, application operator

1. The breadth and depth of API calls.

Displaying all of the API calls possible on screen for the survey would be a challenge in itself. It would probably have to be generated and presented to the user in a hierarchical layout. I have trouble believing very many users would be wiling to drill down through the layers to check the methods they use. Maybe I'm being overly skeptical here.

Presenting a subset of the API calls could work but I'm not sure how to pick the subset. This is a tricky one. Would love to hear suggestions.

2. Application developers actually taking the survey.

Currently the survey is targeted towards OpenStack operators. Not to say we can't switch the focus but it'll be a bit more difficult to get application developers/operators in front of it just because they're a bit more removed from OpenStack. We could ask the OpenStack operators to ask their application developers/operators to take it and give them an email template for them to send it out or something along those lines.

Perhaps it's time to open the survey with a "What kind of user are you?" type question.

3. Application developers only knowing their single system

The feedback from an app dev is useful but they really only know about their own system. What we really need is an aggregate of all of the API calls being made.

4. The difference between application developers and application operators

They are going to have different needs and make different API calls. An app dev might rely heavily on Marconi and never call Nova and vice versa for an app operator. Again we really need aggregate numbers.

To get real aggregate numbers the best thing to do is to go the logs. To me this appears to be a daunting challenge. Hurdles include: getting companies to agree to allow this and share their aggregates, logging every API call (is this already done?), logging configuration, aggregation (the logs could be spread over many systems or, hopefully, centralized), aggregation from archived logs, etc. This is where B from above comes in.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Everett

On Jan 20, 2014, at 12:15 AM, <Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com<mailto:Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com>>