[User-committee] User Committee Volunteer

Tom Spoonemore tom at spoonemore.net
Tue Nov 12 19:41:28 UTC 2013

Tim, and members of the Operations Committee,

In Hong Kong, I attended the User Committee Meeting and I think that I
could help out reviewing and bridging some of the user feedback to
development.

I'm a long time operations guy who has built infrastructure to run some of
the largest SaaS, and web properties.  I've built the teams to run them and
am extremely well versed in what it takes to deploy and operate large scale
infrastructure.  Currently I work as an independant IT technology and
strategy consultant helping companies develop post-virtualization, cloud
strategies.

I am keenly interested in OpenStack and am working with engineers in the
Seattle area to develop a practice around deployment as well as using
OpenStack as a driver for PaaS, NoSQL, commodity storage, and other
solutions valued by Enterprise and service provider customers.  My ultimate
goal is to drive OpenStack adoption with those customers as this is the key
to OpenStack's long term future.

Between my personal experience and those of my customers, I have a
perspective that I think is beneficial and a good fit for the User
Committee.  Recently I founded a company and acted as the Product Manager
working directly with customer feedback and creating user stories and
driving sprint planning with our dev teams.  I think this experience is
directly useful to the work you are doing.  Finally, the flexibility
afforded to me by my consulting practice would allow me to contribute
regularly to the committee.

I think it is a good fit and I look forward to contributing to the effort
if you'll have me.  Let me know if you agree and how we can get started.

TSpoonE

Tom Spoonemore
e: tom at sponemore.net
m: +1.425.761.8617