[User-committee] FW: [openstack] - [New Idea] - Automatically track non-engineering ATCs

Joshua McKenty joshua at pistoncloud.com
Sat Mar 9 01:10:27 UTC 2013

The first thing I tried to do with Ask, after I figured out how to login
using my LP credentials, and found the voting button (which only shows up
on the detailed view), was to attempt to vote up a feature that I also
need. I got a cryptic message about needing >5 points! Then I realized this
whole system is based on "karma" - which defeats the point of making it
easy to capture lightweight feedback from a large number of loosely
involved individuals.

/rant

There is a broad set of academic research and commercial products around
gathering user feedback, called "idea management" - it requires tools and
approaches that are almost 180 degrees from the defect-centric and
process-heavy mechanisms of engineering. For example:

Ideas don't require descriptions - a single sentence is often enough.
Descriptions don't require markdown or complex formatting.
They can be voted up or down from list-view.
Tagging and categories are orthogonal (see the original taxonomy vs.
folksonomy debate at
http://solutions.wolterskluwer.com/blog/2010/10/topical-classification-of-content-making-sense-of-folksonomies-taxonomies-ontologies-and-more/)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_innovation
http://readwrite.com/2010/09/01/3-trends-in-idea-management

I agree that tool proliferation is dangerous, though. But I can't see us
getting from where Ask is, to something appropriate for Idea Management, in
the timeline that I think this needs to come together within. Thoughts?