[User-committee] FW: [openstack] - [New Idea] - Automatically track non-engineering ATCs

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Sat Mar 9 01:49:08 UTC 2013

On Fri 08 Mar 2013 04:32:06 PM PST, Joshua McKenty wrote:
> UserVoice can easily be installed as a widget into
> OpenStack-Dashboard: this would allow us to gather feedback directly
> from a point of interaction for all the users. (Obviously opt-in, but
> could be folded into the opt-in stats tracking).

Including something in horizon makes perfect sense. I didn't understand
this is the path you were following.  Reading your other message I have
a better idea now: thank you.

I'm guessing we'll have a way to distinguish between the user of
openstack (the dude that downloads the package for
[research|testing|exploration|fun]) as opposed to the users of horizon
as provided by [cloud provider].

So the 'user' installs Horizon, is presented a 'place' where to send
'feedback'. Feedback can be anything or must be an 'idea'? Because if
we're adding features to horizon it'd be good for users also to have
links to where they can ask questions, in their preferred language.

I'm familiar with open innovation and idea management and I know that it
requires discipline/knowledge from the actors involved and processes,
facilitators. The tools can help with the processes, but if the actors
involved (the users, since we don't control them) are not managed there
is a high chance of not have good material to work with.

> Ask is integrated into LP for login

I changed my mind about that a few days ago, precisely to reduce
friction :) Ask supports LP as well as twitter, facebook, google, WP,
generic openid and more ... and if something is missing we can add it.
And I see now that the login system is still broken...

Ask has not been released yet, it's still a WIP (heavily). The karma
stuff is configurable...

The tools, in any case, come after. First come scope, requirements
definitions, processes...