[Product] Proposal - Rename our Group to the User Story Team

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Dec 7 06:21:29 UTC 2016

I agree with Lauren that it is much more than user stories.

The key part for me of the Product Team is the evangelizing within the contributing companies.

Writing down the user stories is part of the process but the goal should be to improve the end product, not only document the gaps.

Tim

On 07.12.16, 03:53, "Kenny Johnston" <kenny at kencjohnston.com> wrote:

    On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 4:15 PM, Lauren Sell <lauren at openstack.org> wrote:

    > Hi Kenny,
    >
    > Thanks very much for starting the discussion on the list. I am not
    > involved with the team day to day, but from my perspective, I would caution
    > against changing the name to “User Stories" because I think it undersells
    > the mission.

    I disagree. Our mission is clearly focused on "creating user stories that
    reflect the voice of users/operators."[1] It's right there in the first
    sentence. :)

    > That said, I would definitely support evolving from a “Working Group” to a
    > “Team” (although I think you’re already using that term in some cases).
    >
    > I know the Board and the User Committee view the Product (Team) as a very
    > strategic initiative, and I’m afraid the name change would imply a very
    > tactical scope.

    I'm actually all for tactical scope, even in strategic initiatives. We can
    fulfill a strategic role (providing a place to develop unified user stories
    for the broader User Community to communicate to the broader Technical
    Community) by doing a very tactical task (drafting, reviewing and
    publishing user stories).

    My understanding is that in an ideal world, the Product Team is a
    > horizontal body that helps aggregate, prioritize and find commonality
    > across feature requests from the different vertical teams / constituencies
    > (such as Scientific, Large Deployments, Enterprise, Telco, etc.), in order
    > to bubble up and evangelize the top priorities across the community in a
    > consumable way.

    Isn't our primary consumable deliverable, and method for finding that
    commonality in the proposing and joint review of User Stories?

    > The Product Team would also ideally follow some of the top priorities
    > through the design and development process, and of course help document the
    > roadmap, as you are currently doing quite well.

    I'd argue we could have a separate Work Group (now that I've clarified that
    WGs can be long-term) that puts together the roadmap.

    > There are of course challenges to achieving the full vision, including
    > resources and culture / process changes, but as a heads up the Foundation
    > staff intends to provide better support for the Product Team in 2017 (both
    > upstream and downstream to help close the feedback loop) :)
    >
    > Just my thoughts as you are considering the change...

    +1 appreciate it.

    Part of my general concern that I didn't communicate, but should have, is
    that by remaining strategic without a tactical purpose we are not
    adequately broadcasting to potential and current members that being a
    member of this group/team involves the not-often-fun work of drafting,
    reviewing and updating user stories. If we had 100 members, but only five
    of them were committed to that not-often-fun work, I'd consider this group
    a strategic failure.

    [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ProductTeam#Mission