[Product] Proposal - Rename our Group to the User Story Team

Kenny Johnston kenny at kencjohnston.com
Wed Dec 7 02:53:51 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 4:15 PM, Lauren Sell <lauren at openstack.org> wrote:

> Hi Kenny,
>
> Thanks very much for starting the discussion on the list. I am not
> involved with the team day to day, but from my perspective, I would caution
> against changing the name to “User Stories" because I think it undersells
> the mission.

I disagree. Our mission is clearly focused on "creating user stories that
reflect the voice of users/operators."[1] It's right there in the first
sentence. :)

> That said, I would definitely support evolving from a “Working Group” to a
> “Team” (although I think you’re already using that term in some cases).
>
> I know the Board and the User Committee view the Product (Team) as a very
> strategic initiative, and I’m afraid the name change would imply a very
> tactical scope.

I'm actually all for tactical scope, even in strategic initiatives. We can
fulfill a strategic role (providing a place to develop unified user stories
for the broader User Community to communicate to the broader Technical
Community) by doing a very tactical task (drafting, reviewing and
publishing user stories).

My understanding is that in an ideal world, the Product Team is a
> horizontal body that helps aggregate, prioritize and find commonality
> across feature requests from the different vertical teams / constituencies
> (such as Scientific, Large Deployments, Enterprise, Telco, etc.), in order
> to bubble up and evangelize the top priorities across the community in a
> consumable way.

Isn't our primary consumable deliverable, and method for finding that
commonality in the proposing and joint review of User Stories?

> The Product Team would also ideally follow some of the top priorities
> through the design and development process, and of course help document the
> roadmap, as you are currently doing quite well.

I'd argue we could have a separate Work Group (now that I've clarified that
WGs can be long-term) that puts together the roadmap.

> There are of course challenges to achieving the full vision, including
> resources and culture / process changes, but as a heads up the Foundation
> staff intends to provide better support for the Product Team in 2017 (both
> upstream and downstream to help close the feedback loop) :)
>
> Just my thoughts as you are considering the change...

+1 appreciate it.

Part of my general concern that I didn't communicate, but should have, is
that by remaining strategic without a tactical purpose we are not
adequately broadcasting to potential and current members that being a
member of this group/team involves the not-often-fun work of drafting,
reviewing and updating user stories. If we had 100 members, but only five
of them were committed to that not-often-fun work, I'd consider this group
a strategic failure.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ProductTeam#Mission