[Product] Adding User Stories to the Draft Folder in Advance of Tokyo

Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com
Sun Oct 25 22:53:21 UTC 2015

Kenny,
Total OpenStack experience should be a good topic for Product WG discussion on Th.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kenny Johnston [mailto:kenny.johnston at RACKSPACE.COM]
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 12:17 PM
To: Tom Fifield; product-wg at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [Product] Adding User Stories to the Draft Folder in Advance of Tokyo

Hi Tom, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thoughts in line and we can definitely discuss more in Tokyo.

Kenny Johnston | Senior Product Manager, Private Cloud | Rackspace kenny.johnston at rackspace.com | rackspace.com |

On 10/16/15, 2:56 AM, "Tom Fifield" wrote:

>Hi Kenny,
>
>Nice list of stuff you've got there :)
>
>If it makes sense to you, I'd like to work with you to pull these three
>up a level - they seem a little buried in the user stories repo which
>should focus on stories around changes to the OpenStack software ("I
>want feature X", "project should do Y instead of Z"), rather than the
>supporting projects and community activities.

Interesting, I¹m not sure I agree that the user stories are only confined to OpenStack software. As product managers we tend to think about the value a product can provide from the entire experience, not just the bits and bytes. Perhaps we have a misalignment in PWG scope/intent on that front. PWG friends, care to comment?

>For example, regarding Ask OpenStack, there's a bunch of people over at
>the community mailing list who really care about this kind of thing. I
>think the concerns written here should be posted over there as a start.
>I've also got some ideas about what we can do to better work with the
>existing moderators of the site that I would love to give someone to
>run with :)

Awesome, yes I¹d love to get in touch with those folks.

>The example configuration story seems to fit better within the remit of
>the documentation team rather than any of software project team,

I¹m not certain, the configuration file would likely need to be dynamically generated based on deployment config provided by the operator.

>and the
>scheduler simulator would probably make a very cool software project in
>its own right.

Quite possibly, and we had a similar discussion around Capacity Planning.
In that discussion we agreed that if the end result of the use case is that teams look at it and say, ³Hey, we should make sure we integrate with existing software or make room for a new piece of software that needs to be developed.² then I would call that a win.