[Product] Adding User Stories to the Draft Folder in Advance of Tokyo

Kenny Johnston kenny.johnston at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Oct 23 17:17:04 UTC 2015

Hi Tom, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thoughts in line and
we can definitely discuss more in Tokyo.

Kenny Johnston | Senior Product Manager, Private Cloud | Rackspace
kenny.johnston at rackspace.com | rackspace.com |

On 10/16/15, 2:56 AM, "Tom Fifield" <tom at openstack.org> wrote:

>Hi Kenny,
>
>Nice list of stuff you've got there :)
>
>If it makes sense to you, I'd like to work with you to pull these three
>up a level - they seem a little buried in the user stories repo which
>should focus on stories around changes to the OpenStack software ("I
>want feature X", "project should do Y instead of Z"), rather than the
>supporting projects and community activities.

Interesting, I¹m not sure I agree that the user stories are only confined
to OpenStack software. As product managers we tend to think about the
value a product can provide from the entire experience, not just the bits
and bytes. Perhaps we have a misalignment in PWG scope/intent on that
front. PWG friends, care to comment?

>For example, regarding Ask OpenStack, there's a bunch of people over at
>the community mailing list who really care about this kind of thing. I
>think the concerns written here should be posted over there as a start.
>I've also got some ideas about what we can do to better work with the
>existing moderators of the site that I would love to give someone to run
>with :)

Awesome, yes I¹d love to get in touch with those folks.

>The example configuration story seems to fit better within the remit of
>the documentation team rather than any of software project team,

I¹m not certain, the configuration file would likely need to be
dynamically generated based on deployment config provided by the operator.

>and the
>scheduler simulator would probably make a very cool software project in
>its own right.

Quite possibly, and we had a similar discussion around Capacity Planning.
In that discussion we agreed that if the end result of the use case is
that teams look at it and say, ³Hey, we should make sure we integrate with
existing software or make room for a new piece of software that needs to
be developed.² then I would call that a win.