[Product] Tap as a service [telco] [nfv] [neutron]

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Tue Dec 23 16:38:59 UTC 2014

---- Original Message -----
> From: "Stefano Maffulli" <stefano at openstack.org>
> To: product-wg at lists.openstack.org
>
> An important decision needs to be made about a feature for Neutron,
> originally proposed by Ericsson. It's the kind of feature that this
> group may have opinions to express:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/96149/
>
> Armando (one of the core reviewers) said:
>
> > To me the biggest concerns are: a) Whether this is part of Neutron
> > core or not; I lean for the latter; b) What can we do to address the
> >  security implications; allowing government agencies to have a free
> > lunch by design seems like a subtle way of killing the adoption of
> > OpenStack-based public clouds.
>

> To which one of the proposers replied:
>
> > In my humble opinion, this service plugin should be a part of a core
> > Neutron deployment. One of the most important and obvious role it
> > plays (outside its ability to enable traffic monitoring for security
> > and data analytics) is providing the necessary visibility for
> > troubleshooting network related problems in an OpenStack cloud
> > environment. Tenants who are going about the process of creating
> > complex virtual network topologies and deploying VMs on them, will
> > really appreciate having such a handy debugging aid available (and
> > ready for use) as part of the base Neutron service.
> >
> > Almost all modern virtual switches provide port mirroring support
> > that is built into their respective feature sets. This service
> > plugin is attempting to offer similar capability for OpenStack
> > tenant virtual networks.
>

> If anyone in this group has a strong opinion on this feature, please go
> and comment now.

I do believe the feature is important it's not clear to me whether it's important that it be inside the Neutron tree or not (and in part the push for the latter is a natural result of the decision to position the specification as adding *aaS, ostensibly to cover more use cases). From the comments it seems that there is still a lot of concern/confusion around the Neutron services split out and also the broader changes to governance currently being proposed/implemented.

Reading the comments I *think* the prevailing concern of the submitters  is "if we submit this as a separate service, how will it end up in the OpenStack release...whatever shape that may take". Ultimately for the functionality to be useful to the types of applications that would use it they would I expect want it to be common to most (all?) OpenStack distributions.

Thanks,

Steve