[Openstack] [Ceilometer] Unable to retrieve data from ceilometer

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 11:28:09 UTC 2017

How did you install Gnocchi?

It’s not part of OpenStack anymore. In local.conf:

enable_plugin gnocchi https://github.com/gnocchixyz/gnocchi.git

CEILOMETER_BACKEND=gnocchi

GNOCCHI_DEPLOY=uwsgi

The DEPLOY option is not mandatory, but it has the advantage that all of Gnocchi’s logging can be viewed with journalctl.

If you did that, what happens when you launch the Gnocchi services?

In addition to that, I had to manually populate the database with Ceilometer’s resource types:

ceilometer-upgrade --noskip-gnocchi-resource-types

The documentation is a bit lacking. Ceilometer produces samples and publishes them through the Gnocchi publisher driver (/opt/stack/ceilometer/ceilometer/publisher/gnocchi.py). When a sample arrives for a resource that doesn’t exist in the Gnocchi data store yet, the publisher creates it first, then adds the sample. If you don’t have the resource types in Gnocchi, this fails and you have no data at all.

I’d like to know how you make progress (private communication OK). I managed to set everything up, but the samples come in with a huge delay, with the effect that my alarms have insufficient data. This is on a master clone of DevStack. Perhaps you can help me figure out what’s wrong!

Bernd.