[Openstack] Replication logic and use of partitions

Sai Vishwas saivishwasp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 01:16:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

     I was reading about the replicator process that runs at regular
intervals. I would like to know if my understanding of it is correct .

     This is my understanding :  Since it is partitions that are
replicated, the replicator process uses the hash of the partition's
contents to check whether the replicas are all up to date, i.e all changes
have been updated on all three replica partitions. In case, an operation
has failed on one node, then the partition on that node will have an older
'last updated timestamp' and also its hash will differ from that of the
partitions on which the operation succeeded. Once, the replicator sees that
the 2 partitions have a different hash value, it realizes that the one with
older timestamp has to be updated and hence checks as to which all files
have to be updated and then rsyncs only those particular files.

   Is this right, or does it rsync the entire partition?

   Apart from generating this hash value for easy change detection, and
assigning weights to nodes, for what other purposes does the concept of
'swift partitions' come into help ?

Thank you. Have a great day.

Regards,
Sai Vishwas