[Openstack] br-ex question ubuntu and Liberty

Martin Wilderoth martin.wilderoth at linserv.se
Sun Mar 6 07:21:14 UTC 2016

I have a question regarding the br-ex interface openvswitch and dvr setup.

I use dvr-ovs config in liberty. I have problems with accessing external
network.
Checking my ovs-vsctl it seems I have vlan taging on networks that could
possible explain why I have network problem.

But the demorouter can ping demo-detwork and router ip, but not gateway and
internnet, the same apllys for the instance i have launched In ovs i have
some tag attached, but all setup is done by the neurtron-agent except the
br-ex interface that i have added and conected to eth3

So I have connected br-ex to my eth3 interface. I have not assigend any IP
on eth3 nor ex-br as I don't really want that, access to
controller/networknode is done via another interface.

so my network config / Ubuntu 14.04 is

    auto eth3
    iface eth3 inet manual

This works fine with openvswitch when i play with simple setup and
tapports. I have no config in the network file for my br-ex interface.

It seems some posts suggests adding extenal ip to my ex-br interface, it
relates to older releases but could be correct.

So my questions are

Do I have to assign an external IP on my br-ex interface for the system to
work ?
Could I do some additional set-up to avoid doing this as the assigned ip
will never be used as far as I understand ?
Do I only need to bring it up or do I have to assign a good ip adress ?

Please put some light on this, please help me !!!!

Regards Martin