[Openstack] Create instance fails on creating block device - Block Device Mapping is Invalid

Cynthia Lopes clsacramento at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 14:17:51 UTC 2016

Hi,

First of all, think dis question did no get answered:

-I'll try that thanx. How do you do that with the "openstack" command?

If not, the command is: openstack volume create --size (size in GB) --image
(image name or id) volume_name

Just for info the cinder command was not exact, it should be: cinder create
--image*-id *<IMAGE-ID> *--display-name* <NAME> <SIZE>

I agree with Eugen that you should make sure you can create a volume and
attach to a VM to help understand what your problem is.
This guide explains about ephemeral storage options:
https://platform9.com/support/openstack-tutorial-storage-options-and-use-cases/

By default you should be able to create VMs with ephemeral disks (not
cinder one).
Usually you can specify the directory where VM instances disks will be
stored in the compute node on nova.conf option 'instances_path' in
[DEFAULT] session. By default it should point to
'/var/lib/nova/instances/'. It is default option so, even if it is not
there, this should work.
Nova compute config options:
http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/config-reference/content/list-of-compute-config-options.html

The command to create the VM with an ephemeral disk (nova local storage and
not cinder) is:
openstack server create --image (image id or name) --flavor (flavor id or
name) vm_name

Concerning the flavor, I think the flavor you use should have the same disk
size as the disk. At least, for me when I try to boot a VM from a volume
that is not the same size of the flavor, I get BadRequest error.

Let us know if you manage to boot a VM so you can try to attach a volume to
it.

Good luck with all that.

Kind regards,
Cynthia