[Openstack] Cinder - no availability zones

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Tue Jul 12 19:57:19 UTC 2016

I'm back to trying to get Cinder volumes to work. I think
I've nailed it down to the fact that there are no availability
zones;

  bladeA01:~# cinder availability-zone-list
  +------+--------+
  | Name | Status |
  +------+--------+
  +------+--------+

However, two hours of googling, and no one seems to know how
to create a zone in Cinder.

All "they" say is to add the zone in cinder.conf under
DEFAULT/storage_availability_zone and DEFAULT/default_availability_zone.

I did that weeks ago, but still nothing (although previously I
didn't explicitly look for it):

  [DEFAULT]
  storage_availability_zone = nova
  default_availability_zone = nova
  allow_availability_zone_fallback = true

"They" also mention host aggregates:

  bladeA01:~# openstack aggregate list
  +----+-------+-------------------+
  | ID | Name  | Availability Zone |
  +----+-------+-------------------+
  |  6 | infra | nova              |
  |  7 | devel | nova              |
  |  8 | build | nova              |
  |  9 | tests | nova              |
  +----+-------+-------------------+

I'm not sure what kind of availability zone these are, but
I have _something_ (I'm guessing Nova zones):

  bladeA01:~# openstack availability zone list
  +-----------+-------------+
  | Zone Name | Zone Status |
  | internal  | available   |
  | nova      | available   |
  | nova      | available   |
  | nova      | available   |
--
Att inse sin egen betydelse är som att få ett kvalster att
fatta att han bara syns i mikroskop