[Openstack] [Fuel] Neutron + VLAN install fails

Marco Mariani marco.mariani at alterway.fr
Mon Jun 22 10:19:42 UTC 2015

Hi!

I'm trying to install (Fuel 6.0) a cluster (HA) of 5 nodes, designated as:

Controllers: 3 x Dell PowerEdge 2950 (2 NIC onboard + 1 added) Compute: 2 x
Dell PowerEdge R710 (4 NIC onboard)

I want to use Neutron VLAN Segmentation Planning (3 NICs, as in
https://docs.mirantis.com/openstack/fuel/fuel-6.0/_images/preinstall_d_vlan_3nics.png
).

I have set up the VLANs as in the picture, the only detail I was not sure
about
is whether to configure eth2 in fuelmenu or leave it blank, but it should
not
make any difference.

The main problem is that, while installing the controllers, the public
gateway
cannot be reached and the install fails after a 600 seconds timeout (at
about
77% - like in https://bugs.launchpad.net/mos/+bug/1424708 and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1396126 ).

If I use the R710 servers as controllers with the same setup, everything
installs correctly and the gateway works as well.

The only relevant difference I can think of is that the additional card in
the
2950s is seen as eth0, therefore the PXE boot happens on eth1 and I have to
reassign the logical networks accordingly in the Fuel UI. The R710s boot
from
eth0.

Could this really be the problem? A similar bug was fixed in Fuel 4:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1269920

but I have the same behavior with Ubuntu AND CentOS.

Should I change the detection order in the udev configuration? If I do that,
how do I prevent the server from installing openstack while I manually
change
70-persistent-net.rules ? And more importantly, how to let Fuel know that I
renamed the interfaces?

I have previously installed small clusters with FlatDHCP and Neutron/GRE,
but
had serious performance issues with the latter, probably due to MTU
mismatches
and thought it would be easier to change network architecture. All I care
about
is to have Neutron, performance is not critical but the throughput with GRE
was
about a hundredth of what it should be. I decided to postpone the GRE
troubleshooting
until v6.1

Let me know if I can provide more details, and thanks in advance for any
help.

--
Marco