[Openstack] nova-sheduler timeouts in juno ...

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Fri Feb 6 15:25:39 UTC 2015

Hi All,

After upgrading from icehouse to juno I get timeouts when trying to
schedule >20 instances at once (20 deterministically works, 30 always
fails didn't bother to go finer than that)

Note this is a single call with --max-count on the CLI or setting
number of instances in Horizon.  If I do parallel batched of 10 or 20
instances I can get hundreds to launch successfully as each set gets
handled by a different scheduler process.

I know under icehouse I could get 100 or so to launch at once (then
neutron would start to trip over itself, so kudos on that not
happening anymore).  I seem to recall with icehouse instances in a
scheduling batch would launch individually as scheduled in juno it
seems none get launched until all are scheduled.

In any case timeouts appear in nova-conductor.log one set for each
instance in the set all with the same message ID
(http://paste.openstack.org/show/168157/).

Is anyone else seeing this / know a work around?

Thanks,
-Jon