[Openstack] nova 'absolute-limits': where does it get the totalInstancesUsed from? (they are wrong)

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Tue Nov 11 16:41:36 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-11-11 at 08:53 -0500, Don Waterloo wrote:
> In horizon, i see '14 instances used for me. This in turn comes from
> the same source as 'nova absolute-limits'.
> The problem is, I have 0 instances in use.
> I even removed all instances for my user-id and my project-id from the
> nova database. Now 'select count(*) from instances where user_id =
> 'XXXX or project_id = YYYY'' returns 0 for me. But I still see this
> '14' come out.

If I recall correctly, this data is acquired from the quota_usages
table, which keeps track of the number of instances in use, as well as
the number of outstanding reservations.  If you're in the habit of
manually modifying your database, that could cause the number to be out
of sync; of course, bugs could also cause a desync.  By default, nova
does not automatically perform a quota usage resync, but this can be
enabled using one of the two options "until_refresh" or "max_age", in
the [DEFAULT] section.  You could try setting until_refresh to a
suitable value, say, 50, then restarting nova.  The value "14" may still
show until the next time you request an instance, at which time it
*should* refresh.
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>
Rackspace