[Openstack] No mouse control for a Windows 7 instance

Ernest Bisson ebisson at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 22 20:29:39 UTC 2014

Hi Thiago.

I think I may have figured out some more pieces to the puzzle regarding the
inconsistent results I mentioned earlier. For the most part I've been using
the dashboard to create/launch/terminate images. There is a directory on
each compute node /var/lib/nova/instances/ which seems to contain copies of
images that have been launched to it as well as other files related to
them. I think what happened is I had launched a Windows image to my compute
node and saw that the pointer wasn't working. I then enabled use_usb_tablet
in /etc/nova/nova.conf . I may have terminated the previously launched
image using the dashboard (not totally sure if I did this) and then
rebooted the compute node. At this point the mouse still didn't not work.
However, I noticed that when launching the image this time it booted very
fast compared to when I did it the first time. I looked
in /var/lib/nova/instances/_base and discovered a copy of the image that
had been created earlier in the day. In my next test I shutdown/terminated
the instance from the dashboard but this time I deleted all files related
to it in /var/lib/nova/instances/_base. I then launched a new copy of the
Windows 7 image. This time it took a lot longer to complete because it was
once again creating a local copy on the compute node. Once it was up and
running I opened the console and my mouse was now working. Although a
couple of times it started working and then would suddenly stop (this seems
like a definite bug). Also, when terminating/removing an image from the
dashboard I would think the local copies of it on compute nodes should be
deleted too. Not sure if it's a bug or by design that they are not.

Anyways... you may want to try deleting the files
in /var/lib/nova/instances/ and re-launch your Windows image to see if it
solves the issue for you.

Ernie

----

Ernie Bisson