[Openstack] [Ceilometer] Question regarding the meter "cpu time used"

Piyush Masrani pmasrani at vmware.com
Fri Jul 4 05:27:59 UTC 2014

Hi Kurt,

Your understanding is correct about the the 'cpu time used' meter. It is a cumulative meter, ever increasing since boot-up and reset to zero on restart. Vsphere does not support this meter. Details about meters supported by different hypervisors can be found at: http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/measurements.html#compute-nova.
You can use 'cpu_util' meter instead which is of type 'gauge', if it satisfies your requirement.

Personally, I think a 'delta' counter will make more sense. However, you can derive the delta value by comparing two consecutive values for the cumulative meter and figuring out the difference.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Piyush