[Openstack] [SWIFT] memcached connections staying open even after service restart?

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 16:59:41 UTC 2014

I'm wondering why the swift proxy hosts will keep memcached connections
open to other hosts even after I remove the memcached settings from the
proxy-server.conf and restart the service.

I'm seeing what is the equivalent of ghost connections in the logs. I have
a proxy that I've removed from service. I've already stopped the swift
service on this proxy, but my other proxies are still periodically
reporting errors connecting to it via memcached.

The error message:

Apr 10 16:41:52 dalswiftproxy03 swift STDOUT: ERROR:root:Timeout getting a
connection to memcached: oldhost:11211 (txn:
txfe2e2819fc8c4baabcca5-005346c9ccdalswiftproxy03) (client_ip: 10.xx.xx.xx)

on "oldhost", I can still see active memcached connections:

netstat -an | grep 11211
tcp        0      0 xx.xx.xx:11211       0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 xx.xx.xx:11211       xx.xx.xx:44195       ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 xx.xx.xx:11211       xx.xx.xx:50695       ESTABLISHED

There's no references to oldhost in the proxy-server.conf settings. I've
even restarted the swift service, but still these connections are open and
I periodically see errors.

Any ideas?

--
Stephen Wood