[Openstack] high load from qemu-nbd -c on deleted instance drives

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Apr 10 15:55:00 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Running 2013.2.2 on Ubuntu 12.04.  I've recently notices some (10%
ish) of my compute node exhibiting unusually large "system' cpu
utilization over the past few days.

Looking a little more closely I see that there are a number of
'qemu-nbd -c' process trying to connect deleted instance drives (files
on local non-shared disk).  Some of the instances referenced have been
deleted as long ago as March 31 though most are in the past couple of
days.

'qemu-nbd -d' seem the logical opposite of the running command and
exits successfully telling me it has detached the device, but the
original "-c" process is still running.

kill -9 is effective, but I wonder if anyone else has seen this and
how these odd orphans can be prevented, or has a pointer for where I
might start looking for the culprit.

Thanks,
-Jon