[Openstack] Is single physical network interface neutron config possible?

Kyle Mestery (kmestery) kmestery at cisco.com
Sun Nov 17 03:05:48 UTC 2013

On Nov 16, 2013, at 4:53 AM, sylecn <sylecn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi stackers,
>
> I am configuring an openstack installation for testing and development.
>
> Currently the setup is
>
> Node 1: keystone, nova controller, neutron
> Node 2: nova-compute (with neutron for computer node)
> Node 3: cinder
> Node 4: glance, horizon
>
> Each node has only one physical network interface. Is it possible to config neutron for any type of network setup mentioned in openstack-network admin guide? I don't care about throughput and security in this install.

Yes, the easiest way would be to configure Neutron to use GRE tunnels using either the Open vSwitch or ML2 plugin [1]. In this way, the GRE tunnels will use the hosts IP stack and you can use the single IP on the single physical NIC you have for communication.

> And also a side question about network, are the nova net-list, network-list commands replaced by neutron net-list etc in havana?

Yes, there are equivalent Neutron commands:

neutron net-list
neutron subnet-list
neutron port-list

Thanks,