[Openstack] Single global dependency list

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Tue Jul 3 14:09:57 UTC 2012

I have to agree with others that copying files around is not ideal, and I can see the maintenance of this getting more involved as Nova becomes more coupled with common.

> > Additionally, we'd make the copy only copy in the versions from
> > openstack-common for package that were already listed in the target
> > project, so that we wouldn't add django to python-swiftclient, for instance.

This seems to be a reasonable argument against using git submodules, but I'm afraid we might be losing more than we're gaining here.

Just because python-swiftclient depends on openstack-common, and django-using code exists there, doesn't mean that django needs to be installed for python-swiftclient. We might do better to use git submodules and solve the dependency problem, than continuing down this copy-everything path.

Alternatively, speed up the movement from incubation to library.

Regards,
Eric Windisch