[Openstack] Wishlist bugs

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Feb 3 08:43:25 UTC 2012

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Wishlist ("I want a pony") bugs that have sat in launchpad for an
> extended period with no progress contribute to the general noise in
> launchpad - for developers trying to fix stuff that matter to people,
> they're not a very good source of information.
>
> So, how about we do this:
>
>   http://wiki.openstack.org/BugTriage
>
>     Priority 8: Review wishlist bugs
>
>     We should review all Wishlist bugs to make sure they are still
>     relevant and properly prioritized.
>
>     If a low priority Wishlist bug has seen no visible progress in
>     several months, set its status to Opinion with a friendly comment
>     e.g.
>
>       Thanks for the suggestion, but it looks like no-one is actively
>       working on this Wishlist item and it is marked as Low priority. I
>       am moving the bug to Opinion status so that it doesn't clutter up
>       the default queries.
>
>       If any one decides to work on the bug, please feel free to move
>       it to In Progress.
>
> Thoughts?

We can certainly apply this rule to 6-month old wishlist bugs that are
clearly wishlist. A query of Wishlist/Opinion bugs can be used to get a
list of abandoned "I want a pony" topics if anyone runs out of work.

The trick is to distinguish between clear wishes ("I want a pony"
wishlist bugs) and missing necessary features ("feature gaps" wishlist
bugs). The former can be moved out of sight after 6 months, but the
latter should not. We might need to prioritize the latter as bugs
(Low/Med/High/Critical) to clearly distinguish between the two.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack