[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Devin Carlen devin.carlen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 00:23:35 UTC 2011

Here's a few crazy questions for you guys to consider:

1) Why are we even trying to have the same ID for an instance or image across two different APIs?

2) How many people really switch back and forth between OpenStack and EC2 API once they pick one?

3) How many people really expect euca2ools and python-novatools to return the same IDs for the same instances?

4) Why not just store a EC2 ID and a OS ID alongside an actual row PK?

My point with these questions is that very little is gained from forcing two different APIs to try to use the same ID, especially given that the format is different. I would argue that it has created a lot more problems than it has solved.

Devin