[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Fri Jul 8 22:12:33 UTC 2011

2011/7/8 Vishvananda Ishaya <vishvananda at gmail.com>:
> Yes they seem to apply to all ids
> r-XXXXXXX
> ami-XXXXXXX
> i-XXXXXXX
> vol-XXXXXXX
> snap-XXXXXXX
>
> That said we are using base-36 for the hex in reservation ids and no one has complained, so i don't think they are used by the tools that much.

Not true. ElasticFox does not work with this.

I don't think we're yet at a point where we can say that lack of
complaints about stuff means something's fine. That sort of assumption
only starts to be useful when we have lots of real users. The users we
have so far are people who care about OpenStack for OpenStack's sake,
not "random" users who are being given access to an OpenStack
deployment and being told "talk to this like you would talk to EC2.
It'll work fine." Different expectations.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/