[openstack-tw] App Hackathon update meeting

Jerry Chou jchou at cs.nthu.edu.tw
Tue Jan 12 13:09:06 UTC 2016

Dear All,
  As mentioned in the meetup today, NTHU is hosting a openstack platform
called SSCloud (https://www.unicloud.org.tw/services/sscloud).
  We are glad to offer it as a training and testing platform.
  You may find the user manual and hardware spec on the webpage.
  If you need any further information, please feel free to contact me
  or our technical supporting staff "Chen-Hao Ku" (jhku at sslab.cs.nthu.edu.tw
)

  For judging, I also suggest to let the chairs of three tracks to gather a
list of judging criteria in their own area as a guideline for the
competition, while the topic, data, tools and devices can keep open to
inspire more creativity.
  For instance, from the point of "system", we would like to see the
application is built on top of a backend solution with HA, load balance and
elasticity.
  If we have a agreement on this idea, I can give you my concrete list by
the weekend.

Cheers,
Jerry

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 3:37 PM, David F Flanders <flanders at openstack.org>
wrote:

> In addition to the video are the notes from the meeting below.
> Please feel invited to reply with questions/suggestions using inline
reply:

> Attendees: Michael, Rico, Tom, Anita, Danny, Jack, Allen, Dr Chung,
Christopher, Dr Lai, Flanders (video conf)

> 1. Update by Project Manager (Michael)
> --> Welcome the large group on experts
> --> introduced the hackathon and current status to the group
> --> Idea began back in October to help increase awareness of building
applications (mobile, web, etc.)
> --> This will be the first application hackathon (alpha) which OpenStack
will run.
> --> Many events around the world will be run by OpenStack community based
on this first event.

> 2. Site Selection
> --> Michael introduced the two different sites
> --> Dates of event and numbers of people will be decided once a venue is
selected.
> --> Potential use of Airforce Base or Hack space in Taipai
> --> Hoping to have a venue selected by end of the week
> --> Hoping to have Hackathon mid March
>
> 3. Development Objective & Event Theme
> --> Michael introduced the Smart Commerce development objectives
> --> Application developer problem scope: smart commerce apps
> --> potential to use iBeacon and 4G/LTE technologies for tracking
shoppers.
> --> we will have a call for volunteers to support the event and
technology hardware
> --> request for judging panel and team leads (mentors)
> --> rough estimate: 40-50 teams of teams 3-6 people. Judging in parallel,
like american idol?
> --> Hoping that University Profs and/or Students able to be judges and/or
mentors
> --> Encourage professors to invite their students to participate.
> --> Encouraging industry to send their best developers to lead (mentor)
teams
> --> How can participants utiilse the 4G/LTE+iBeacon technology on site at
the hackathon?
> --> Looking for partners to connect the devices to OpenStack directly.

> --> Professor Zhen: good topic, current trend, MOEA, data analytics -
availability of suitable data is very crucial,
> --> Youbike data - from yuan hua
> --> open test space
> --> would advise to have pre-built images
> --> basic tools - only fundamentals - save some time, but leave room to
develop advanced things
> --> originality constraint in the judging
> --> only provide dataset, etc
> --> Judging criteria discussion: emphasize the goal - creativity,
scalability etc; publish rules online - eg what can you do beforehand;
disclosure form - what did you do beforehand; constrain and encourage; put
everything in a github repo; any restrictions on IoT devices? eg
propreitary devices; focus on development effort; recommended devices/ not
recommended devices; open source devices recommended

> 4. Technology constraints and options:
>
> --> Request for suggestions on which companies are likely to want to
participate
> --> Datasets are a good way to frame a hack event.  Such as Open Data
Taiwan
> --> Potential shopper datasets being made available?
> --> All technology teams will need to use OpenStack as the platform for
their application.

> 5.) Vendors for iBeacon/4G technology?
>
> --> mediatek
> --> advantek
> --> foxconn
> --> Intel
>
> 4. Judges, Mentorship & Volunteer Organisation
> --> request for more ideas on what the problem scope should be for the
different hack teams.
> --> need to write up engaging set of problems (hack challenges + mentors)
so participants are inspired to engage as team.
> --> request for mentors who have used the technology beforehand and have
an idea for what kind of problem they want to solve
> --> Two rounds of judging - first make a shortlist, then have full panel
of judging for the final awards.
> --> university and industry experts act as mentors.
> --> mentors lead teams
> --> prizes are a motivating factor to just sign up, they don't end up
being the thing people remember as valuable from the event.
> --> most valuable prize would be getting to go to OpenStack summit as a
team?
> --> use cases for engaging the wider public (marketting): help promote
international shopping, ease of shopping experience, etc.
> --> need mentors who are inspired by how shopping could be better.
>

> 5. Cloud - Key outcomes
> --> key learning outcome is to understand the cloud and it potential for
building new scalable apps that will work with larger audiences
> --> What will students want to achieve as part of this hackathon, what
value do they get after working all weekend long?

https://plus.google.com/events/cko4nle4teloim9k05smfu4ml6o

>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 10:43 PM, Rico Lin <rico.l at inwinstack.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Hangout group for this meeting.
>>> Link: https://plus.google.com/events/cko4nle4teloim9k05smfu4ml6o
>>>
>>> On Jan 11, 2016 7:37 PM, "Michael Jenkins" <md.jenkins at icloud.com>
wrote:

>>> Thank you Andre for the support of QCT and we look forward to including
Danny, Lynette, and Jack to the growing team.

>>> Best regards,
>>> Michael
>>>
>>> On 11 Jan 2016, at 18:38 , Andre Hu (胡明德) <Andre.hu at qct.io> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Rico,
>>>
>>> Thanks for meeting info.
>>>
>>> QCT will have following persons to attend the meeting tomorrow.  Please
excuse me not to be able to attend tomorrow meeting due to prior meeting
commitment.

ychung at cs.nthu.edu.tw; hungsh at csie.ntu.edu.tw; Minolu .C; 王惠民; Andre Hu
(胡明德); Jerry Chou; openstack-tw at lists.openstack.org;
yehching.chung at gmail.com; Fred Chien
>>> Subject: Re: [openstack-tw] App Hackathon update meeting
>>>

>>> Meeting Time: Tuesday, 2016/1/12
>>> Meeting host: Michael
>>> Meeting will be at room 447 in EECS building, National Tsing Hua
University.

>>> One more minor agenda item:
>>>
>>> 8. Active Open App Developer Communities in Taiwan who might want to
collaborate?

>>> A quick look at the Meetup.com for Taiwan shows the following as
potential communities we could invite?

>>> Taipai Python User Group
>>> Taipai R User Group
>>> ElasticGroup Taipai
>>> Taiwan Java User Group
>>> Rails Taiwan
>>> Startup Taiwan
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Best, Flanders
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Michael Jenkins <md.jenkins at icloud.com>
wrote:
>>> Thank you Tom for your thoughts. I spoke with Rico about the agenda and
feel that the meeting should only last 1.5 hrs. Originally I was pressed
for time but have been able to adjust my schedule to allow ample time at
NTHU, so I will not be rushed to return to Taipei for my next meeting.

>>> Let’s try to keep the meeting to 1.5 hrs and ready to update on
progress for the following:
>>> 1. Site selection
>>> 2. Development objective and event theme
>>> 3. Mentor and volunteer organization
>>> 4. Event support staff organization
>>> 5. Judges and registration
>>> 6. Schedule tracking and progress
>>> 7. Any other items
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Michael
>>>

>>> On 11 Jan 2016, at 12:55 , Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Just to clarify the agenda. So far I didn't see a topic proposed from
NTHU?

>>> ·         Confirming Location
>>> o    We will have a site survey on Monday, so we should be able to
select site by Wednesday.
>>> ·         Organizing Volunteer group
>>> o    We have some great volunteers list in etherpad. We also have some
others sponsors and professors. According to schedule, sponsorship
searching should be closed at the end of January (IIRC). Since we probably
will start some detail working, it will be great if we can conform the
commits from each other, so works can be dispatched.
>>> ·         tech topic
>>> ·         Opening registry?
>>> ·         Any topic, please reply and add on mailing list.
>>>
>>> Also, 2 hours seems like a long time for an update meeting. Last time
one hour was sufficient. Michael, as the meeting chair, what do you think?

>>> As always, we should post any updates on the mailing list to allow
people to read before the meeting. This way we can keep the meeting short
and to the point.

>>> Regards,
>>>

>>> Tom
>>>
>>> On 10/01/16 20:31, Rico Lin wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Micheal, but this is mostly professor Chung's arrangement.
>>> Meeting will be at room 447 in EECS building, National Tsing Hua
University.

>>> Professor Chung and a lot of professors will join this meeting there.
It will be nice if Michael and others can join this meeting there.
>>> The room can contains 40+ people. This meeting also will be a hangout
meeting for others who really can't join this meeting in NTHU.

>>> On Jan 10, 2016 2:13 PM, "Michael Jenkins" <md.jenkins at icloud.com>
wrote:
>>> Hi Rico, thank you for coordinating this important meeting. I’ll need
to adjust my schedule for Tuesday and will be able to attend the meeting at
10am.

>>> Could you please let me know the exact meeting location?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Michael
>>>
>>> On 9 Jan 2016, at 11:15 , Rico Lin <rico.l at inwinstack.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Dear all
>>> Thanks very much for prof. Chung's arrangement. There will be a meeting
in NTHU at 10am on Tuesday.

>>> Apologies for any  inconvenient, but we should change the meeting time
to Tuesday with Prof. Chung's meeting and merge all topics together.

>>> Michael, are you available that time?
>>>
>>> Propose to have a meeting next Wednesday morning 10-12 am. This meeting
should hosted by Micheal, our project manager for this event who get to
control topics and schedule during meeting.

>>> How we host this meeting: a hangout meeting will be nice.
>>>
>>> In the meeting, we can have chance to decide fallowing things:
>>> ·         Confirming Location
>>> o    We will have a side survey on Monday, so we should be able to
select site by Wednesday.
>>> ·         Organizing Volunteer group
>>> o    We have some great volunteers list in etherpad. We also have some
others sponsors and professors. According to schedule, sponsorship
searching should be closed at the end of January (IIRC). Since we probably
will start some detail working, it will be great if we can conform the
commits from each other, so works can be dispatched.
>>> ·         tech topic
>>> ·         Opening registry?
>>> ·         Any topic, please reply and add on mailing list.
>>> Thanks for the hard works by Prof. Chung and other Professors, we now
have big supports from academic including fallowing university:
>>> ·         National Taiwan University,
>>> ·         National Tsing Hua University,
>>> ·         National Chiao Tung University
>>> We should have a good chance to get around all guys and have a good
chance to share with each other and work on above items.

>>> Also would like to invite everyone subscribe on this mailing group
http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-tw so we can
have everyone to joining all discussion for event.

Jerry Chou
Assistant Professor
Computer Science Department
National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu Taiwan