[openstack-tw] App Hackathon update meeting

David F Flanders flanders at openstack.org
Tue Jan 12 07:37:54 UTC 2016

In addition to the video are the notes from the meeting below.
Please feel invited to reply with questions/suggestions using inline reply:

Attendees: Michael, Rico, Tom, Anita, Danny, Jack, Allen, Dr Chung,
Christopher, Dr Lai, Flanders (video conf)

1. Update by Project Manager (Michael)
--> Welcome the large group on experts
--> introduced the hackathon and current status to the group
--> Idea began back in October to help increase awareness of building
applications (mobile, web, etc.)
--> This will be the first application hackathon (alpha) which OpenStack
will run.
--> Many events around the world will be run by OpenStack community based
on this first event.

2. Site Selection
--> Michael introduced the two different sites
--> Dates of event and numbers of people will be decided once a venue is
selected.
--> Potential use of Airforce Base or Hack space in Taipai
--> Hoping to have a venue selected by end of the week
--> Hoping to have Hackathon mid March

3. Development Objective & Event Theme
--> Michael introduced the Smart Commerce development objectives
--> Application developer problem scope: smart commerce apps
--> potential to use iBeacon and 4G/LTE technologies for tracking shoppers.
--> we will have a call for volunteers to support the event and technology
hardware
--> request for judging panel and team leads (mentors)
--> rough estimate: 40-50 teams of teams 3-6 people. Judging in parallel,
like american idol?
--> Hoping that University Profs and/or Students able to be judges and/or
mentors
--> Encourage professors to invite their students to participate.
--> Encouraging industry to send their best developers to lead (mentor)
teams
--> How can participants utiilse the 4G/LTE+iBeacon technology on site at
the hackathon?
--> Looking for partners to connect the devices to OpenStack directly.

--> Professor Zhen: good topic, current trend, MOEA, data analytics -
availability of suitable data is very crucial,
--> Youbike data - from yuan hua
--> open test space
--> would advise to have pre-built images
--> basic tools - only fundamentals - save some time, but leave room to
develop advanced things
--> originality constraint in the judging
--> only provide dataset, etc
--> Judging criteria discussion: emphasize the goal - creativity,
scalability etc; publish rules online - eg what can you do beforehand;
disclosure
form - what did you do beforehand; constrain and encourage; put everything
in a github repo; any restrictions on IoT devices? eg propreitary
devices; focus
on development effort; recommended devices/ not recommended devices; open
source devices recommended

4. Technology constraints and options:

--> Request for suggestions on which companies are likely to want to
participate
--> Datasets are a good way to frame a hack event.  Such as Open Data Taiwan
--> Potential shopper datasets being made available?
--> All technology teams will need to use OpenStack as the platform for
their application.

5.) Vendors for iBeacon/4G technology?

--> mediatek
--> advantek
--> foxconn
--> Intel

4. Judges, Mentorship & Volunteer Organisation
--> request for more ideas on what the problem scope should be for the
different hack teams.
--> need to write up engaging set of problems (hack challenges + mentors)
so participants are inspired to engage as team.
--> request for mentors who have used the technology beforehand and have an
idea for what kind of problem they want to solve
--> Two rounds of judging - first make a shortlist, then have full panel of
judging for the final awards.
--> university and industry experts act as mentors.
--> mentors lead teams
--> prizes are a motivating factor to just sign up, they don't end up being
the thing people remember as valuable from the event.
--> most valuable prize would be getting to go to OpenStack summit as a
team?
--> use cases for engaging the wider public (marketting): help promote
international shopping, ease of shopping experience, etc.
--> need mentors who are inspired by how shopping could be better.

5. Cloud - Key outcomes
--> key learning outcome is to understand the cloud and it potential for
building new scalable apps that will work with larger audiences
--> What will students want to achieve as part of this hackathon, what
value do they get after working all weekend long?
--> What can we do in advance to prepare participants?
--> hackathon main aim shouldn't be a competition, it should be an
experience.