[Openstack-track-chairs] "Voting now open" email: no information about changes to the voting process?

Jimmy Mcarthur jimmy at tipit.net
Wed Jul 27 20:08:58 UTC 2016

Anca Ivanov wrote:
> Hello Track Chairs,
>
> Here are my 2 cents on the voting.
Anca, thank you for the feedback!!

> I think it’s great that we are clarifying the process&  the reasoning behind it.
> (I am new at this, so apologies if I am exhibiting any nOOb behavior, but…) I am still concerned about asking community members to go through 1,500+ talks. Even when diligently going through categories, there are sometimes 50+ talks in each track. My fear is that the ones that are displayed first would get the most votes before people just get fatigued or get interrupted by something else. I can’t think of an elegant solution to this short of changing the User Interface, but perhaps, there is a quick way to randomize the order in which the talks are displayed so that every talk has an equal chance of being “on top of the pile”?
We provide a random order for every user that logs on, for exactly this
reason. Additionally, we have an algorithm that attempts to surface
talks that have had no votes.
> Finally, from a user experience right now (on Chrome for me), when I change tracks, the presentation panel on the right side of the screen still shows me the last presentation I had viewed from the previous track without “refreshing” to the first talk on this new track. I fear this may be misleading to some. Example: Evaluating OpenStack Track – First talk: Evaluation of OpenStack from mission critical view point. Change categories to: Community Building. The Presentations tab on the left refreshes with the new content, but I still see the abstract&  details of “Evaluation of OpenStack from…”
Yes, this has been an ongoing debate. Email works in the same way if you
change folders, which is what this was modeled after. The display plane
on the right does not always snap to the first talk of the new category.
However, there are a couple of cues that should be apparent from a UX
perspective:

* Current talk title is different than first talk on new category
* You would have, ideally, already voted on the previous talk
* The first talk in the new category will not yet be highlighted with
the blue line and should still be dark i/o light grey

I'm of two minds on this one and we're willing to change it if the
community feels it's easier to understand by zeroing out the right panel
on category change. For the record, that's how it works in Track Chairs
tool, but there is a lot more going on in that tool than in community
voting.

Thanks!
Jimmy