[Openstack-track-chairs] "Voting now open" email: no information about changes to the voting process?

Anca Ivanov aivanov at internap.com
Wed Jul 27 19:41:23 UTC 2016

Hello Track Chairs,

Here are my 2 cents on the voting.

I think it’s great that we are clarifying the process & the reasoning behind it.
(I am new at this, so apologies if I am exhibiting any nOOb behavior, but…) I am still concerned about asking community members to go through 1,500+ talks. Even when diligently going through categories, there are sometimes 50+ talks in each track. My fear is that the ones that are displayed first would get the most votes before people just get fatigued or get interrupted by something else. I can’t think of an elegant solution to this short of changing the User Interface, but perhaps, there is a quick way to randomize the order in which the talks are displayed so that every talk has an equal chance of being “on top of the pile”?
Finally, from a user experience right now (on Chrome for me), when I change tracks, the presentation panel on the right side of the screen still shows me the last presentation I had viewed from the previous track without “refreshing” to the first talk on this new track. I fear this may be misleading to some. Example: Evaluating OpenStack Track – First talk: Evaluation of OpenStack from mission critical view point. Change categories to: Community Building. The Presentations tab on the left refreshes with the new content, but I still see the abstract & details of “Evaluation of OpenStack from…”

Thanks!

Anca

On 16-07-27 10:45 AM, "Florian Haas" <florian at hastexo.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Jimmy Mcarthur <jimmy at tipit.net> wrote:

> Florian Haas wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 5:26 AM, Jimmy McArthur <jimmy at openstack.org> wrote:
>
> Florian Haas wrote:
>
> I think that addition is good (though not trying to preempt others), but
> there's also a functional change which is that voting on a talk doesn't
> advance you to the next, a
>
> Also wanted to comment on this one. Since we allow users to leave comments
> on talks AND because of past confusion for users on automatically advancing,
> we decided to remove that.
>
> In this case, the < > keyboard shortcuts should help you out.
>
> Got it. Thank you! May still be worth a quick mention in the "what's
> new" section.
>
> Done :)
> https://www.openstack.org/summit/barcelona-2016/call-for-presentations/selection-process

Thanks again!