[Openstack-track-chairs] the meaning of the 'How to contribute' track

Cohen, Beth F (Beth) beth.cohen at verizon.com
Tue Aug 18 23:55:46 UTC 2015

Folks -
My team created a spreadsheet to help with the decision process, which I have included here for your edification.  If something along these lines could be made part of the tool that would be ideal.  I just used Excel, but I have also done something similar in Google Docs.

Let me add my two cents on the session selection process.  While the voting portion is increasingly unwieldy -- mostly because of the number of sessions that we need to vote for is increasing exponentially it seems -- I do not think we should get rid of it.  Maybe modify it, allow people to vote for categories for example to get a sense of the level of interest in various tracks.  As was mentioned by others, I think it helps foster a sense of community, even if some of the votes are obviously rigged.

As a track chair, I let the number of votes sway a decision, but it is just one of several criteria.  Choosing between two sessions that are similar and one has many votes and the other has none, that helps me decide.  Sessions with no or few votes, unless they are compelling are going to go into the slush pile.  Sessions with little detail or no bios of the presenters, are going to get dropped.

I would like to touch on the issue of panels.  I like large panels, I think they have a dynamic that is lacking with a panel with 3-4 people on them.  You need a good moderator to keep the panel from getting off-track, but that is not difficult to achieve.  On the Telco track, we decided to get around the problem of the many NFV sessions that were obviously product presentations, by creating a panel made up of people from the various vendors, to talk about NFV.  I think this is far more interesting to our community and none of the vendors could have been able to create this panel on their own.  We are also doing the same thing for Telco users.

--
Beth Cohen