[openstack-tc] [all][trove][tc] project deliverables in 'maintenance-mode'

Amrith Kumar amrith.kumar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 14:35:39 UTC 2017

>From time to time, projects find that specific deliverables are in a
transient state of reduced activity or contribution and it doesn't make
sense to dedicate the same amount of time or resources to them. To help
communicate these to the community, I've proposed an assert on a deliverable
(assert:maintenance-mode) which would signal to the community that the
project or the TC believes that a specific deliverable is in such a
transient period of low activity.

This has been proposed in review[1] in the governance repository and I am
requesting that the TC consider this for adoption at their next meeting
(next week).

By extension, a project may find itself in such a transient state and the
assert can be equally applied to all deliverables in the project. This is
not to indicate that things have come to a standstill, more that
non-critical activities will likely not be undertaken.

This is not an academic request.

At this point, I believe that the Trove project has entered such a phase,
and if [1] is approved, I intend to follow up with a request to mark all of
trove's deliverables as entering maintenance-mode. We have few active
contributors, and even fewer active reviewers[2]. In the absence of active
participation in the project, I see no alternative but to request this
course of action.

This does not mean that all activity will stop. We will still produce a
release, we will still maintain the stable branches, and we will produce
patches for critical and security related issues.

Please take a minute to review ahead of the TC meeting; Thierry please
confirm that this email suffices to get this request on the TC agenda for
next week.

-amrith

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/449925/
[2] http://stackalytics.com/?module=trove-group