[openstack-tc] Joint Board/TC/UC meeting around PTG

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Dec 14 11:19:41 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

Following up on the open discussion at the meeting yesterday...

The Board is proposing that we have a joint meeting on the Friday
afternoon of the PTG week.

Since most teams will be done by then (or ramping down), I think we can
get enough TC members to participate. It is OK if you prefer to
prioritize the Friday afternoon PTG activities: we can make sure we
discuss the agenda in-person before the meeting, so that our delegation
at the meeting can reflect your position accurately.

Some TC members noted that the BoD+TC meeting at the Summit tended to be
deserted by Board members. I think the odds of that happening at the PTG
joint meeting are reduced (since board members explicitly travel to the
event to attend that precise day), but I'll make sure to convey that
back to the Board chair. They can't expect us to prioritize this meeting
up if they are routinely prioritizing it down.

During the discussion yesterday, most people said Friday afternoon could
work for them. We also considered pushing back on the date proposed by
the Board and:

1/ Propose Sunday afternoon instead
Personally I'm not a big fan of that solution. One of the goals of the
event split is to reduce the craziness of the 6-day-long summit week...
Re-creating the same madness around the PTG sounds very counterproductive.

2/ Propose a virtual meeting instead
The Board wanted to make progress on hard discussions around strategy
(the "OpenStack Futures" discussion for those following recent Board
meetings), and I'm not sure we can make any progress on such complex
discussions with only two face-to-face meetings in 2017.

3/ Propose a separate meeting instead
If we consider that the issues to be discussed are so complex and
critical, half-a-day of meeting at the end of a work week with some
priority conflicts might not be the best solution anyway. A specific
2-day workshop (around an OpenStack Day or Ops meetup somewhere ?) might
prove more productive. The trick being to organize that in the near future.

The question I have is: are we good with the proposed date (Friday
afternoon), or do we want to push back against the date proposed by the
Board and suggest an alternate proposal (which?)

Personally I'm fine with a joint meeting on the Friday afternoon at
*that* PTG (I don't really want it to become a tradition), *but* would
like to suggest a separate meeting for the future (like between Boston
and the 2nd PTG).

Please let me know your position ASAP, since I need to get back to Alan
this week.