[openstack-tc] Official Python 3 Policy

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Jun 11 18:10:38 UTC 2013

On 06/10/2013 11:59 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 20:32 -0700, Joe Gordon wrote:
>> Hi TC,
>>
>> As many of you have probably seen, there has been a community effort to
>> begin the slow process to making OpenStack python 3 compatible. There is
>> even a weekly meeting discussion it (
>> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/python3/2013/)
>>
>> As this is inherently a massive cross project effort, I was hoping the TC
>> would comment on the python 3 efforts.
>
> After looking the python 3.3 based Tulip project, I'm even more keen for
> us to get onto Python3:
>
>   http://blogs.gnome.org/markmc/2013/06/04/async-io-and-python/

I'd love for us to get to python3 as well - also because I think it's
going to be harder and harder for us to deal with python things if we
don't, and we're going to wind up developing more and more local cruft,
which will make it harder and harder to get there.

>> * What versions of python we want to compatible with
>
> Looking at e.g. Fedora 19 and "Red Hat Software Collections 1.0 Beta"
> I'd say 3.3. But maybe there are obvious 3.2 based distros we want to
> support. I haven't looked further.

I think 3.3, since we don't support it at all yet. It is possible to
write code that works in both 3.3 and 2.7 - but 3.2 has some gotchas.
I'd hate to introduce support for a version that's already superseeded.
Since it's a new thing to support, I say target 3.3 and up only.

>> * Do we *want* all projects to by python 3 compatible or should we focus
>> our efforts on oslo and client libraries etc?
>
> Definitely want All eventually, but we need to focus on baby steps.

++

>> * Do we want to begin gating on some python 3 compatibility?
>> https://github.com/openstack-dev/hacking/commit/e0ab03637da65bfc6035091989b62fc70ae363a5
>
> That change looks like a very good idea.
>
> More generally, I'd say that when each individual project gains python 3
> compat we should add a gating test to make sure it doesn't regress.

+100

As a point of info, we're working on adding the ability to run python3.3
tests somewhere in the gate.

Monty