[openstack-tc] Official Python 3 Policy

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jun 11 06:59:35 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 20:32 -0700, Joe Gordon wrote:
> Hi TC,
>
> As many of you have probably seen, there has been a community effort to
> begin the slow process to making OpenStack python 3 compatible. There is
> even a weekly meeting discussion it (
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/python3/2013/)
>
> As this is inherently a massive cross project effort, I was hoping the TC
> would comment on the python 3 efforts.

After looking the python 3.3 based Tulip project, I'm even more keen for
us to get onto Python3:

  http://blogs.gnome.org/markmc/2013/06/04/async-io-and-python/

> * What versions of python we want to compatible with

Looking at e.g. Fedora 19 and "Red Hat Software Collections 1.0 Beta"
I'd say 3.3. But maybe there are obvious 3.2 based distros we want to
support. I haven't looked further.

> * Do we *want* all projects to by python 3 compatible or should we focus
> our efforts on oslo and client libraries etc?

Definitely want All eventually, but we need to focus on baby steps.

> * Do we want to begin gating on some python 3 compatibility?
> https://github.com/openstack-dev/hacking/commit/e0ab03637da65bfc6035091989b62fc70ae363a5

That change looks like a very good idea.

More generally, I'd say that when each individual project gains python 3
compat we should add a gating test to make sure it doesn't regress.

Cheers,
Mark.