[openstack-tc] TC meeting tomorrow Tue Oct 23, 20:00 UTC

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Oct 22 18:06:46 UTC 2012

On 10/22/2012 10:55 AM, John Dickinson wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2012, at 10:23 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/22/2012 12:44 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> 2.6/3.x support
>>>
>>> What do we do about python 2.6? Currently we have to run oneiric slaves
>>> for 2.6 testing because precise doesn't have it. I think swift cares
>>> about 2.6, but I don't think anyone else does. Swift has also been
>>> asking for lucid testing. Cutting off 2.6 support will be important for
>>> beginning to think about 3.x support.
>>>
>>> Straw man proposal:
>>> - Drop 2.6 testing support across the board for this cycle for the
>>> master branch. Add some lucid slaves and use them for testing of swift.
>>> (nothing other than swift has a chance in hell of working on lucid) Keep
>>> the current oneiric-based 2.6 jobs for 2.6 testing of
>>> stable/{diablo,essex,folsom}
>>> - Moving forward, make plans for grizzly+1 to get swift off of 2.6 (is
>>> there any chance of that being reasonable notmyname?) so that we can
>>> start looking towards across the board support for 3.x. In the mean
>>> time, add some quantal builders with 3.3 installed and run some
>>> non-voting 3.3 jobs on some of the projects. (it's possible to have 2.7
>>> and 3.3 code that is source-code compatible)
>>
>> I think an initial question around 2.6 support is where does 2.6 support
>> matter?  What distributions still use it?  (i.e. what is the impact of
>> the project dropping support for it?)  Once we determine the potential
>> impact, we can weigh that against the potential benefits of doing it.
>>
>> RHEL 6.X and its derivatives (CentOS, Scientific Linux, ...) use 2.6.
>> Anything else?
>
> Lucid is still supported and has Py2.6. I'd like to see testing for currently supported LTS versions (lucid and precise, today). I'm not as concerned with non-LTS releases since I haven't really seen those in prod clusters.
>
> My general priority is
>
> 1) currently supported Ubuntu LTS releases
> 2) CentOS 6
> 3) other Linux distros (including non-LTS Ubuntus)
> 4) other non-Linux platforms
>
> Therefore, because of Lucid and CentOS, Py2.6 is still a priority in my mind.

This is a good point ... quick devil's advocate question - will the
Lucid support term get us to a point where we'll still be trying to
support it while trying to move to Python 3 when ubuntu drops Python 2?
(I belive python 2 will not be in the next ubuntu LTS, correct)? My
biggest concern is that we don't get our backs to the wall with the
python 3 question.

I think supporting existing LTS's make sense for things that actual had
stable releases on that LTS (swift in this case - nothing else in the
openstack stack worked in the Lucid timeframe)

OTOH - anybody have any idea what the RHEL story around python2 and 3 is
going to be?