[Openstack-security] OpenStack Security Vulnerability Impact Metrics

Grant Murphy gmurphy at redhat.com
Wed Jun 11 03:16:21 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Hi Doug,

Great work!

I just thought I'd share how Red Hat currently classifies vulnerabilities:

https://access.redhat.com/site/security/updates/classification/

We are currently applying CVSS2 scores and impact classifications to our OpenStack offerings.
An example is here:

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2014-0455.html

As you mentioned CVSS2 doesn't really make a whole heap of sense for OpenStack but FWIW
the impact Red Hat assigns is not always directly derived from CVSS2 score. And whilst I
agree we need a repeatable and objective process here I will also like to note that in
my experience these scoring systems don't always capture all the edge cases. So IMO having a
mechanism that gives the VMT the discretion to bump up the impact of a vulnerability based
on the situation is probably something worth considering.

On a (kind of) related topic: I would like to start including the classification of the underlying
flaw in our advisories. Something similar to CWE maybe? From a metrics perspective I would
find this more useful for driving proactive initiatives to prevent recurrences.

- Grant