[openstack-qa] Fail injection tests for Swift and possible merge with Tempest

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri May 10 23:26:20 UTC 2013

On 05/10/2013 10:31 AM, Martina Kollarova wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I started to write fail injection tests, currently specialized to Swift.
>
> https://github.com/mkollaro/destroystack
>
> A decision has been made to have all tests in one repository and I got
> asked me if it would be possible to add these to Tempest. The main
> problems with that are:
> 1. they are very setup dependent - Swift has to be installed in a
> specific way and needs multiple servers
> 2. needs re-installation between test suites, since different tests
> expect a different topology (see file TEST_PLAN.md)
> 3. it will shut down servers, change configuration, etc
> 4. will be quite slow

The architecture of Tempest is to just house test cases. They can be
configured with an etc file, but it should not modify your environment.

I think that if destroy stack could separate the test cases from the
setup runner, the test cases would be appropriate. We currently already
have 2 setup runners in openstack-dev, devstack, and grenade, so having
something that sets up various swift configs could be it's own project.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net