[Openstack-personas] Meeting Summary: 17 January 2014

Ju Lim julim at redhat.com
Mon Jan 20 16:38:42 UTC 2014

Hi.   Thank you to all of you who were able to participate in the OpenStack Personal Working Group Kick-off Meeting last Friday, 17 January 2014.  For those of you who were not able to attend, we have put the meeting minutes/notes in the Etherpad (https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/persona-working-group).

Here's a short summary of the last meeting and what was decided:
The goal of the Persona Working Group project is to make clear the needs of the people who are consuming OpenStack, so the cummunity understands what the product they're building needs to provide.
Initially the focus will be on technically-focused personas in order to ease development and also get community buy-in.
Methodology will be based on creating personas using the following video as guidance: http://aycl.uie.com/virtual_seminars/building_personas_in_30_days_or_less; rather than be site-visit focused, it will be more questionnaire focused.
Initial "buckets" (categories) that we will focus on are: Operator, User, Developer.  These are intentionally broad.
Within those buckets will go the roles defined below (lines 68 to 165 in the Etherpad), as agreed by the working group.
Once we have roles, we will develop questions and recruit participants.
Roles are designed to make sure we haven't missed sub-groups within the buckets, and to facilitate question creation.
Decisions will be discussed in meetings but "ratified" on the mailing list, in case people miss the meeting.

For meetings, we still are determining when to meet.  Current thinking is to meet every 2 weeks and perhaps host the meetings at at alternates times every other meeting so team members that are not in the US will have an easier time to join the meetings.  Here's yet another Doodle to figure out the 2 different meeting times on which to meet:
	http://doodle.com/t8f7ma8985vgnmry
When you vote, please keep in mind, we're trying to come up with 2 different meeting times -- one that accommodates US (most of the team currently) and one that accommodates folks overseas (Europe, Asia, Australia, etc.).

In the meantime, we need more folks to reviews the persona roles (lines 68 to 165 in the Etherpad) and comment on which ones you've come across, the titles most commonly associated with the role, and vote on which roles we should work on.  Please do so before our next meeting (which is tentatively going to be the 1st week of February 2014).

OpenStack Personas Working Group Useful Links:
IRC: #openstack-ux
Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/persona-working-group

Thank you.

Kind regards,