[Openstack-operators] attaching network cards to VMs taking a very long time

Radu Popescu | eMAG, Technology radu.popescu at emag.ro
Thu May 17 11:49:48 UTC 2018

Hi,

unfortunately, didn't get the reply in my inbox, so I'm answering from the link here:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2018-May/015270.html
(hopefully, my reply will go to the same thread)

Anyway, I can see the neutron openvswitch agent logs processing the interface way after the VM is up (in this case, 30 minutes). And after the vif plugin timeout of 5 minutes (currently 10 minutes).
After searching for logs, I came out with an example here: (replaced nova compute hostname with "nova.compute.hostname")

http://paste.openstack.org/show/1VevKuimoBMs4G8X53Eu/

As you can see, the request for the VM starts around 3:27AM. Ports get created, openvswitch has the command to do it, has DHCP, but apparently Neutron server sends the callback after Neutron Openvswitch agent finishes. Callback is at 2018-05-10 03:57:36.177 while Neutron Openvswitch agent says it completed the setup and configuration at 2018-05-10 03:57:35.247.

So, my question is, why is Neutron Openvswitch agent processing the request 30 minutes after the VM is started? And where can I search for logs for whatever happens during those 30 minutes?
And yes, we're using libvirt. At some point, we added some new nova compute nodes and the new ones came with v3.2.0 and was breaking migration between hosts. That's why we downgraded (and versionlocked) everything at v2.0.0.

Thanks,
Radu