[Openstack-operators] [nova] Should we allow passing new user_data during rebuild?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Oct 4 15:15:28 UTC 2017

On 10/03/2017 11:12 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:

> My personal opinion is that rebuild is an anti-pattern for cloud, and
> should be frozen and deprecated. It does nothing but complicate Nova
> and present challenges for scaling.
>
> That said, if it must stay as a feature, I don't think updating the
> user_data should be a priority. At that point, you've basically created an
> entirely new server, and you can already do that by creating an entirely
> new server.

If you've got a whole heat stack with multiple resources, and you realize that
you messed up one thing in the template and one of your servers has the wrong
personality/user_data, it can be useful to be able to rebuild that one server
without affecting anything else in the stack.  That's just a convenience though.

Chris