[Openstack-operators] [nova] Should we allow passing new user_data during rebuild?

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Tue Oct 3 21:05:44 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 08:29:45PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
:On 2017-10-03 16:19:27 -0400 (-0400), Jonathan Proulx wrote:
:[...]
:> This works in our OpenStack where it's our IP space so PTR record also
:> matches, not so well in public cloud where we can reserve an IP and
:> set forward DNS but not control its reverse mapping.
:[...]
:
:Not that it probably helps, but I consider any public cloud which
:doesn't give you some means of automatically setting reverse DNS
:(either through an API or delegation to your own nameservers) to be
:thoroughly broken, at least for Internet-facing use cases.

we wander off topic...and I wander waaay off topic below...

but I have exactly 1 instance in AWS where I
care about this, perhaps I just don't care enough to have found the
answer or perhaps for count of 1 it's not worth solving.

<rant>
Then again perhaps AWS is just actually the trash is seem to be to
me. I've been trying to like it since before there was an OpenStack,
but the more I try the less I can stand it.  People who use AWS and
complain about OpenStack UX baffle me, there's a lot OpenStack can do
to impove UX but  it's waaay better than my AWS experices. I mean it
was fewer steps to enable ipv6 on my OpenStack provider networks than
it was to get it working in my AWS VPC and neutron isn't the poster
child for simplicity.
</ rant>

:--
:Jeremy Stanley