[Openstack-operators] Ceilometer and disk IO

Alex Hubner alex at hubner.net.br
Wed Apr 12 02:15:56 UTC 2017

Ceilometer can be a pain in the a* if not properly configured/designed,
especially when things start to grow. I've already saw the exact same
situation you described on two different instalations. To make things more
complicated, some OpenStack distributions use MongoDB as a storage backend
and do not consider a dedicated infrastructure for Ceilometer, relegating
this important service to live, by default, in the controller nodes...
worst: not clearly agreeing on what should be done when the service starts
to stall rather than simply adding more controller nodes... (yes Red Hat,
I'm looking to you). You might consider using gnocchi and a ceph storage
for telemetry as it was already suggested.

For my 2 cents, here's a nice talk on the matter:
https://www.openstack.org/videos/video/capacity-planning-saving-money-and-maximizing-efficiency-in-openstack-using-gnocchi-and-ceilometer

[]'s
Hubner