[Openstack-operators] VM monitoring suggestions

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Thu Nov 17 17:18:23 UTC 2016

We have some custom scripts that run on the hypervisors which poll:

virsh dominfo
virsh domiflist
etc

The memory stats with "virsh dommemstat" are, AFAIK, not accurate since
there's nothing triggering kvm / the vm to release unused memory. But all
other virsh stuff works well for us.

We don't record "load", but we do record CPU time.

The "nova diagnostics" command can also be helpful. We have a custom policy
in place to allow users to query their own instances. I think a few others
are doing this as well -- there was a past discussion about it.

Hope that helps,
Joe